The use of Ephedrine as a dietary supplement is banned since a long time due to the strict regulations associated with the ingredient. But in the US, you will still come across some form of this drug that are legal and can be obtained over-the-counter from some pharmacies. While on one hand some pharmacies use this ingredient, others have decided to discontinue its usage. Therefore, it is very important that you know about the legal status of the drug in that particular place where you reside before acquiring it.
The Legal Brands
To get a proper idea, you can go through the list that includes few legal brand names of Ephedra:
- Primatene tablet – It contains approximately 12.5 mg of Ephedrine HCL along with 200 mg Guaifenesin per tablet
- Bronkaid – It includes a combination of 25 mg Guaifenesin and Ephedrine sulfate
- Generic Ephedrine sulfate (0.25%) solution – It is a nasal drop liquid that is available only against a prescription
- Mudrane GG – It is a multi-ingredient anti-asthmatic drug that includes a combination of Phenobarbital Systemic, Guaifenesin, Ephedrine and Aminophylline
- Quad-Tuss – It is a multi-ingredient formula used for treating disorders related to the upper respiratory area and contains Dextromethorphan, Chlorpheniramine, Ephedrine, Ipecac, Ammonium Chloride and Phenylephrine Systemic.
The availability of the above medications depends on where you live.
The Legal Form
During the time 1980s to 1990s, few of the well-known brands containing Ephedra were Xenadrine, Hydroxycut, Mini Thins Metabolife and Yellow Swarm were used by millions of the US consumers. This ingredient is highly popular amongst dieters, athletes and bodybuilders. But the FDA deduced that this ingredient can bring about certain adverse effects and thereby tagged it as illegal which should not be used in any dietary supplements. After the ban of Ephedra in 2004, in many places it was stopped from being sold as an over-the-counter medication. In the US, it is used in medications treating breathing problems and can be still bought without a valid prescription. Though dieters and bodybuilders look at this product as a weight loss agent, practically this bronchodilator is not recommended as a fat loss agent.
The Strict Monitoring System
When you buy some of the legal brand names of Ephedra, you need to abide by the law of the country you live in. In the US, when you purchase this product you are required to produce your photo ID proof to state that your age is 18 years plus. Sometimes you may also have to submit your full personal details like full name, address and even your signature to acquire the product so that these information can be stored in a central logbook and accessed by different authorities as and when required. The government takes a look at these records from time to time to monitor if anyone is purchasing the drug multiple times in a certain time frame. As per the laws, you are authorized to buy only around 3.6 in a day or 9 gm a month. If you happen to buy more than the specified amount, you may be arrested on a charge of crime.